Friday, December 17, 2010

were have we been???

We're here.

Sorry for taking so long to post.

So where to being?

Well for starters, we are now official UAE RESIDENTS !!! (until 2013...not that we plan on staying here that long, but we are residents)

We had to go get a brief physical at the hospital for our visa. They have something here called "VIP Service" at the hospital which is great. Basically you pay more (a lot more) but worth every penny. You sit in this VIP lounge that's super nice, but the best part is they speed up the whole process so I was literally at the hospital for 15 mins !

We had to get Passport photos for the visa, and it turns out that when you get those pics here your fee also includes some "photoshop" work on the pic, of course this photoshop work is at the discretion of the local "photo guy." Basically his idea of "fixing" your picture.
See below:
width=

Its not a great pic because its from the visa but...Is it me or did he put make-up on me??!! He also did a little "skin-lightening"? Trust me I've been enjoying the sun here, I was a LOT darker than that. You should see Made's ! he almost made her White, kinda like when Dave Chapelle would do his "White Caracters" with the big make up? yep, like that.
Funny, but odd.

2 weeks ago we went to a Caribbean party here.
Turns out there's a very active group of West Indians here and they organize a yearly Christmas party. We went to check it out and it was great. Kinda reminded me of the Caribbean Parties in the 90's at City College, some of you guys remember them.
We met some really cool people there and got invited to a music appreciation group.
Man, there was some goooooood Caribbean food. Found me some goat and just good ol' Caribbean food. Really good time.

I should tell you that Christmas here is a lot bigger than we thought. There are Christmas trees everywhere ! The Souq near us has a 3 level high tree. There's also lots of decorations throughout the city.
We got home last night and even heard and expat group singing "Feliz Navidad" yes, the Jose Feliciano one...lol. Christmas Carols in Abu Dhabi.

Speaking of Christmas, we're going away to Jordan ! Christmas Day we will be at Wadi Rum (not our pic)
width= />
We are super excited ! We're going for about 5 days and going to travel the country to some of the main sites like Petra !
width=

We come back to Abu Dhabi and then head back out to Rome for the New Years.

So my job is done : ( Yesterday was my last day, and I gotta say that I had a good time teaching music to all those kids. At times it was hard, cause you know, they're kids, but all in all it was fun.
This is funny, 2 of the 1st graders were misbehaving in my class, so they're homeroom teacher asked them to come back at the end of the day and apologize for misbehaving in class, and they drew these for me!
width=
width=

Today we got a BBQ at one of Made's Co-workers house, should be fun. The Flan is in the oven !

Just wanna wish you all happy, happy holidays !! and a very Happy New Year. I'll try to get another post in before the New Year.

bye !

No comments:

Post a Comment